Friday, September 7, 2012

shwetted the bed

Perhaps you may not know this about me, but I was a bed-wetter until I was 7 years old.

I remember once going to my best friend's sleepover birthday party when I was in 2nd grade, and I had to take a diaper with me. I was so embarrassed. Before bed, I pulled it out of my overnight bag, hid it under my shirt, went to the bathroom and put it on secretly. Then when I woke up the next morning, I woke up early, tip-toed back into the bathroom, and took it off before anybody could find out. Of course, my best friend's mom knew about it, but I didn't want all the other 7-year-old girls to know, too. It wasn't until after that party that I finally stopped peeing the bed.

I felt so lucky that Ammon didn't have that same problem after he was potty-trained, and then when the twins had no problems with it either, I was so grateful. Apparently, all the issues with potty-training and bed-wetting were being saved up for Kanyon.
 
Kanyon has all the same kinds of issues that I did when I was a child:

--saving up bowel movements in his tummy until they are so huge that it hurts and he doesn't want to go to the toilet, so sometimes he prairie-dogs them in his underwear. And when he does finally use the toilet, he usually ends up clogging it.

--being so busy playing that he doesn't want to take the time to use the toilet, so he pees his pants instead, and then he goes and changes his clothes so that nobody (he thinks) will notice. And then I do notice, and make him tell me where he was at when he did it, and he has to scrub the floor.

--wetting the bed. almost every. single. night.

In the beginning, he would wake up in the morning and say he 1. pee-peed, 2. sweated, or 3. did nothing.  This is what the terms meant: "pee-peed"--that he was soaking wet with urine, "shweated"--that he dibbled a little bit but he wasn't too wet, "did nothing"--basically that.

Now whenever he wakes up, he says only one of two things: that he "shweated" (how he pronounces it)" or "did nothing". "Shweated" now means both dibbling or peeing the bed!

Yesterday morning I said to him, "Kanyon, you are soaking wet! You didn't sweated! You peed the bed!"

He said "Look mom--there's no pee running down my legs. So I didn't pee-pee, I shweated!". Totally makes sense, right?! Silly boy...

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I have dealt with this with both my kids, but more so with Harrison. After much frustration, we finally realized that he really wasn't doing it on purpose. Because he also suffers from severe anxiety he was put on a medication at night, which has actually helped immensely with both issues. Our pediatrician still strongly recommends a bed wetting alarm, but because of Harrison's anxiety issues, he told us keeping him on the medication right now wouldn't be a terrible thing. Anyway...I feel your pain!! :)

DaNise said...

I have one too and we just started trying to use a Potty Pager. Starting to have a few "dry nights" so maybe there is hope. Poor kiddos.
By the way, I love your blog.