Monday, September 3, 2012

Eat More Chikin

I had a chicken-eating-craze in August. In just the first week of the month, we ate chicken for dinner 4 nights in a row! It wasn't planned that way...but one evening I was hungry and I was in the grocery store (not a good combination, right?!). The rotisserie chickens were on sale for $5 each, so I bought 2. Also, the 9 pc. box of fried chicken was on sale for $7, so I bought that for dinner that night. I split apart the rotisserie chickens to have different chicken dinners the next 3 nights (I LOVED that the chickens were already cooked!!). One night we had Ranch Chicken Bites, another night we had Poppy Seed Chicken, and the other night I tried a new recipe for Chicken Pot Pie.
I found the recipe in my Betty Crocker cookbook. I was pretty happy with the way it turned out! It was much easier to make than I thought, and I will definitely be making it again. But since our freezer usually has more beef in it than chicken (since we live on a ranch that raises beef), I think I will alter the recipe in the future to make Beef Pot Pie using cut-up steaks and beef boullion, instead.

Later in the month, I tried another new chicken recipe that I found on The Pioneer Woman's website called Chicken Spaghetti. It looked super delicious, and she had step-by-step instructions on how to make it, which is perfect for me (Josh teases me because I cannot make any food without a recipe or instructions in front of me).
It wasn't as delicious as I had anticipated, but the boys and Josh really liked it, so I think I will put the recipe in my "Keep" pile. Except next time, I'm going to add more chicken to it, and use some Mexican flavored shredded cheese for some extra flavor.

My boys have figured out that one of my goals for this year is trying one new recipe a month. Whenever we sit down to eat and they see what's for dinner, if it's something they don't recognize, they will ask "Is this a new recipe?" or "Is this your new recipe for this month?".  And they're getting better at trying the new foods without complaining, too!

Oh, and btw, my mom knitted the hot pads that are seen in both photos!

No comments: