Friday, August 10, 2012

toetally accidental

One morning in July, I was laying in bed. On this morning, my husband was laying next to me. This is a rarity in the summer, as he goes to work at 5am each morning, and I usually sleep in until 8 or 9. But occasionally on Sunday mornings, he gets to sleep in, too, because there isn't a golf tournament so he doesn't have to go to work. So anyways, on this one Sunday morning in July, Josh and I were laying in bed together. I was on my side of the King-size bed, and he was on his side. I decided I felt like shortening the gap between us, so I rolled over closer to him. As I did so, the heel of my foot caught the middle toe on his foot and snapped it. I heard the snapping sound, and thought I'd bent back his toenail or something. He instantly yelped in pain at the bending and snapping of his toe.

"Was that your toenail?" I asked him.
"NO! It was my TOE!" he replied.

He held his toe for a few moments, saying that it was throbbing with pain. I felt terribly! I thought it was so crazy that my heel would catch his MIDDLE toe! Not the big toe, or the E.T.-finger-shaped one next to the big toe, but the middle toe. What a weird, freakish accident.

I left for Boise that morning with Amanda, and Josh got the kids ready for church. He said his toe still hurt inside the shoe during church whenever he walked, and when he got home from church and removed his shoes & socks, he looked at his toe and it was completely purple and swollen. He texted me with this information, and I was shocked! I felt awful!!!

We both came to the same conclusion: I had broken his toe.  

I got home around midnight that night, and he left for work early the next morning, so it wasn't until Monday afternoon that I got a good look at it. By that time, the swelling had gone down, and the coloring was changing to red from purple. But it still looked terrible! And it still hurt him to walk with it. And I still felt so bad for what I had accidentally done to him!




Josh doesn't believe in going to the doctor, and he didn't think there's anything they could do for his toe anyways, so he just lived with it until the pain and discoloring went away. Now the toe is crooked on the tip (bending down instead of straight out), and we have a lame story for how it came to be that way!!

1 comment:

darcymae said...

There isn't anything a dr will do about a broken toe anyway so its probably just as well that he didnt go. David caught his pinky toe on a corner and broke it once while chasing a naughty kid. We like to retell that story!