Friday, July 13, 2012

Sons Day 2012

The first day of summer 2012 was Friday June 1. The day after school ends is what we consider the first day of summer, as well as what we call "SONS Day". We created Sons Day several years ago because the boys felt it was unfair that they didn't have a day honoring them (I tried to explain to them that every day is Sons Day, but they wanted a special day with a title). Sons Day is always in between Mothers Day and Fathers Day, and to commemmorate it, we traditionally buy the boys new pairs of sandals for summer and do an activity together that they choose and decide on.

Since we drove to Utah on Sons Day this year, it felt different than normal. I did take the boys sandals shopping on Friday, and they each picked a new pair: Jonah and Micah got flip-flops, Kanyon got crocs, and Ammon got slip-ons. I told them that we'd do something together the following day, on Saturday, after we attended their cousins' baptism and baby blessing. For weeks before Sons Day, the boys talked about what activity they would like to do together this year, and they decided on roller skating. None of them had gone before except Ammon, and they were all looking forward to it.

On Saturday afternoon, I took the 4 boys, their cousins Aspen & Libby, and my sister Trina to an indoor recreation center in Logan. The fun center had roller skating, bowling, arcades, and a giant jungle gym. In addition to getting roller skating passes & rentals, I also got passes for them to play on the jungle gym, and I got each of the kids a few tokens to spend in the arcade.

The highlight for Kanyon was using his 4 tokens and playing this game:

He didn't like roller skating AT ALL. He went around once with Katrina and once with me, and he took off the skates and played in the jungle gym the entire rest of the time.

Micah didn't like roller skating either. He took a few trips around the floor, took off the skates, and played in the jungle gym for a long time. I finally convinced him to come back and try skating with inline skates instead, which he did and liked a lot better!

Jonah also didn't like roller skating. But he stuck with it, and quickly traded in his skates for inline skates and did much better. He really liked inline skating, and he went back and forth between skating and playing.

Ammon was mad at me for ordering inline skates for him instead of roller skates from the man at the counter. He had gone roller skating with the 6th graders for the first time in his life a few weeks prior, and had really liked it. He's the one that convinced the younger boys to do this as their special activity!!! But once he got on the floor with the inline skates, he was no longer mad. He couldn't believe how much easier they were to maneuver and he had a great time skating! He was pretty good at it, too!

Aspen brought her own inline skates and went back and forth between the two activities, like Jonah. Libby rented some inline skates, and she spent a lot of time with me and Trina on the floor. She was fun to watch! Trina and I stayed on the skate floor the whole time, and both of us used regular roller skates. I hadn't been roller skating in nearly 15 years--not since Josh and I dated. I have balance problems on skates...also, the skates hurt my feet. But with Katrina's tips and guidance, I was finally getting the hang of it.

I was kind of disappointed that the boys didn't enjoy roller skating as much as they excitedly anticipated it. But the nice thing about this place was that the jungle gym was right next to the skating rink, so I could always see where the kids were, and they still had fun--even if it wasn't skating!

After 2 hours, we left. I dropped off Katrina at her apartment, we went back to Mick & Jen's house, and we changed into swimming clothes. Ammon and my sister Tawna went to the movie theater, and I took the rest of the kids to the outdoor Aquatic Center in Logan. It was fun! I stayed in the pools with Kanyon, and the 4 older kids alternated between going on the big slides and swimming in the pools with us. We had a great time! We were only there for about an hour and a half, before they made us get out of the water for break, and we decided to leave then.

I dropped the girls off, picked up Ammon, and headed back to Tremonton. And that was the conclusion to the Son's Day 2-day event this year!

No comments: