Monday, March 5, 2012

you can't eat me, I'm the Gingerbread...

I like decorating gingerbread for the complete opposite reasons that my boys do.
I like to build, create, and make it look pretty.
They like to deconstruct, take it apart, and eat it.

During our Christmas vacation to Utah, my mom got little gingerbread Santa sleighs, and the boys were so excited to put them together. And as soon as the picture was taken, they started asking when they could eat what they just built. "As soon as we get home to Salmon", I told them. The next day, we drove home to Salmon. And the very SECOND we got home, they asked when they could eat them. "As soon as we get unpacked", I told them. As soon as the last bag was brought inside, they set out immediately undoing their magical creations and shoving all of the sugary sweets into their mouths!




When Alyssa came to Salmon during Winter Break, she brought with her a cute little gingerbread village. On New Year's Day, the boys began helping her decorate the tiny buildings. The frosting hadn't completely set, so the walls kept caving in as the candy was added to the sides and tops. It proved to be a little more difficult than anticipated, and I decided to take on rebuilding one of the demolished houses. The ending products were quite charming! Alyssa's house was adorable, I turned a once-was house into an odd-looking church, and Jonah and Micah's houses had as much frosting and gum drops as possible! 



 

For me, it was fun to build. For the twins, it was fun to eat!!!

No comments: