Sunday, March 18, 2012

alone and away

Over President's Day Weekend, Josh and I went to Utah to spend a few days alone together. Ammon stayed with Grandma T. in Salmon, and the other 3 boys stayed with Grandma P. in Tremonton. We left home on Saturday, and after stopping in Tremonton for a bit, Josh and I continued on to SLC. We went to see the play "To Kill A Mockingbird" at the Midvale Main Street Theater. I love watching plays in the theater! This was a particulary neat theater, with regular chairs instead of auditorium seating, and the chairs all are placed behind little tables, so you can eat as you watch. I loved it! Some of my high school friends were involved in this play, so I enjoyed the experience even more because of that. Usually, Josh doesn't like watching plays, but he thought the actors did a great job, and he liked the storyline. After the play, we went out to eat at Denny's with Eve and Mark, two of my high school friends. We had a fabulous time talking and laughing and I loved every minute of that evening!

On Sunday morning, Josh and I laid around at the hotel watching TV and browsing the internet. It was very peaceful and relaxing knowing that we had no agenda or schedule or kids to attend to. Around lunchtime, we decided to venture out. I was delighted to see snow had arrived overnight! I had been wishing and hoping for snow all winter in Salmon, but it never came, so it was a lovely surprise!

We decided to take a drive to Park City, about 30 mintues away. I had never been there before, even though I grew up in Utah. I had always pictured in my mind what it would look like, but it wasn't as pretty as I thought it would be so I was a little disappointed. It was very busy, though, because of the new snow and it being a Sunday on a holiday weekend.

We drove down a few of the streets in Park City, just getting a feel for the place. It's very similar to the town of Sun Valley, Idaho. The ski hill is right next to the town, but the mountains aren't that steep.

I was fascinated, however, by one of the ski lifts that was actually IN town. As the skiers came down the hill, they continue skiing on a bridge that's built over the road, in order to get a ride back up the hill on the ski lift.

After lunch in town, we decided to stop at the Olympic Park on the outskirts of town. They were celebrating 10 years since the 2002 Olympics that were held in Salt Lake City.

I reminisced to a date 10 years ago on that same weekend when Josh and I went to see some of the Olympic sites in downtown SLC. Here's a flash from the Past...Josh and I 10 years ago:

We looked around at the Olympic museum in the Olympic Park. It was so interesting to look at the photos and memorabilia and remember what transpired at the '02 Olympics.

On Sunday night, we ate at Dave's Famous BBQ. We wanted to try something new, and had never been there before. It sounded really good, but the food was just okay. But regardless of the food, being alone with my husband at a restaurant was wonderful!

Afterwards, we went and saw the movie "The Gray" in the theater. I hated it. Josh chose what we watched, and since I made him come along to the play with me the night before, I went along with what movie he wanted to see. I don't recommend it...everybody dies and I thought it was awful and depressing.

On Monday morning, we checked out of the hotel, picked up our children, and drove home to Salmon. Getting away for just two nights with the love of my life was refreshing, and I look forward to our couple's vacation every year. We usually go in February, because that's when we receive our tax returns. This year's mini-vacation almost didn't happen because we spent all of our tax returns to pay off the travel trailer and other things. But Josh had to purchase a mower for the golf course from a company in SLC, so the golf course paid for our gas to go pick it up, and we decided to make a weekend out of it. I'm so glad we did! It's good for me to get away, I always feel rejuvenated coming home!

3 comments:

Ksenija said...

cool blog...

darcymae said...

my hubby and i spent a night in SLC that same weekend to celebrate our anniversary! how funny!!
btw...thanks for the SPOILER ALERT for "The Gray" movie. we wanted to see it!

Eve said...

I had so much fun seeing you!! You are wonderful. We need to get together again.