Saturday, November 19, 2011

We Three Sing

I love to sing.

And I love to be with my friends John and Amanda.

About once a month (sometimes more, sometimes less), I get to combine both loves, when my friends and I go sing karaoke together!!! Half the time, Josh comes too (he doesn't sing, but he sure can dance!!!), and when he joins us, the night feels perfectly complete!

The three of us love to harmonize with each other, and there's songs that we've found that match our different voices well as duets, so there's some songs Amanda and I sing, some that John and Amanda sing together, and other songs that John and I sing. There's also certain songs that we can ALL sing together, and we sing them quite often because we've learned 3-part harmonies for them, like: Landslide, Suds in the Bucket, Total Eclipse of the Heart, Rolling in the Deep, and I Think We're Alone Now.

John is the High School music teacher and every year in the fall, he puts together the Salmon Idol competition as a fundraiser for the music department. He needed a special musical number for the Junior Show this year to fill time while the judges were tabulating scores, so he convinced Amanda and I to join him in singing one. I wanted us to sing a song that would be very easy for us to learn because I was already pretty busy and didn't think I could memorize a new song, so I requested that we sing Tiffany's "I Think We're Alone Now". Thankfully, Amanda and John agreed with my suggestion, so we began practicing.

We edited and shortened the song, then we decided who was going to sing which solo parts, then we practiced all our 3-part harmonies individually and collectively. After we had the singing down, we began choreographing dance moves ourselves. This took us several hours and a few practices to get, because we changed our movements multiple times. After the singing and dancing were all decided, then we discussed our costumes. We decided to go with an early 90's theme: John dressed in a turquoise and hot pink track suit, Amanda donned the rainbow-striped sweater, and I wore faded denim and a KISS t-shirt.

In the middle of October, the day finally came for the Salmon Idol performance. Amanda and I got our hair done at the salon she works at, then she did both of our make-up and touched up our hair, and then we got ourselves in costume. We looked ridiculous!!! We couldn't stop laughing--we were so giddy!

I can't remember the last time I had my hair ratted so big, or the last time I wore blue eyeshadow, or had red blush on my cheeks...perhaps not since the 90's?!!!

The Salmon Idol show is now divided between a Jr. Show and a Sr. Show. The Jr. Show is for ages 14 and under, and the Sr. Show is for ages 15 and up. We performed at the half-way point of the Jr. Show, so by 5:30, our performance was done and we could enjoy the remainder of the shows.

I was so proud of the three of us! We all remembered our choreography, and we had such a fun time performing! I've competed in the Idol show for 3 years, but this time I loved everything about being on the stage, because I didn't have to stress about being judged!

2 comments:

Holly said...

How fun!! (Although I am sad you didn't get a video of it...I would have loved to see that!)

Debra said...

That sounds like so much fun Kala! I too wish you had a video of it...maybe next time ;)