Friday, September 2, 2011

swim & splash, sand & sun

Day 10 was the final day of our vacation to Utah, and most of the day was actually spent in Idaho. In the morning, we packed everything of ours out of Grandma's house and into our car. Then we drove to Logan to meet up with Mick's family before heading over the hill to Bear Lake. We starting going to Bear Lake with Mick's family several years ago, and it's like a summer tradition now! We drove to North Beach on the Idaho side, and arrived there about lunch time. We ate a picnic on the beach provided by Mick and Jen. There wasn't a lot of beach area because the lake was so high this year, but the water sure was beautiful! And as soon as lunch was over, everyone headed for a swim in it.




It was a gorgeous and hot day. The water was the perfect temperature! After a while swimming in it, the kids started taking breaks to sun-dry on the beach...

...and play in the hot sand.

I love watching the boys play with their cousins! It doesn't happen often enough, but it makes me happy to see them play so well together! 

After an hour, Aunt Tawna had to leave. And after about two hours, Mick and Jen and the girl cousins had to leave, too.

And after the Perkins' all left, there were no sand/beach toys or cousins left to play with. My boys just layed there saying how "bored" they were!

So I made up an imagination game for all of us to play in the water, and we swam for almost two more hours before leaving about dinner time. I asked the boys how they rated Bear Lake, and this is what they did:

Then we dried off, changed our clothes, and headed for home. We stopped in Montpelier for food and gas, and it was the longest pit stop ever. I took the boys through the drive-thru at Taco Time and ordered burritos and drinks for everyone. Then I drove down the block to get gas. Ammon said he was sick and had to go to the bathroom, and as he was getting out of the car, his large pop got stepped on and spilled all over the car. So, I cleaned it all up, got gas, took the boys individually to the bathroom, and Ammon was STILL in the bathroom. We had already been at the gas station for over 20 minutes! I thought he was puking or pooping, but he said nothing was happening and that his tummy still really hurt. I had no choice but to force him back to the car; I wanted to get home already!!! After he came to the car, he ate his burrito as I was driving and then he said he started to feel better. Apparently they were just HUNGER PAINS!!! Aaarrggghhh.

The drive home lasted forever, the boys fought in the backseat, I was irritated, and I was so tired of travelling. Unfortunately, the kids didn't even fall asleep until about 10:00, and didn't get home until after 11:00. I was exhausted! I carried the kids to bed, got all our wet things out of the car and started a load of laundry, put all the food away, and went to bed around midnight. I was so happy that vacation was over and that I got to sleep in my own bed again!

2 comments:

MikeS said...

Sadly, isn't that how all vacations seem to end. The excitement is gone and there's nothing but the long drive home left.

darcymae said...

arent we all happy north beach exists? if not, there wouldnt have been ANY swimming at bear lake this year!!