Sunday, July 31, 2011

Shrimp Hater and Meat Lovers

It's no surprise that I love food! I like watching chef TV shows, I like trying new foods, I like cooking and baking, I especially like eating. There are some foods that I don't like, and there are some foods that Josh doesn't like. For example, I don't like steak and he hates seafood, so we rarely have seafood for dinner and he usually makes just steak for him and the boys when he cooks it. So whenever Josh and I go out on a date to a nice restaurant (which only happens like twice a year), we always order pretty much the same thing: he orders steak and I order shrimp! Last month, for the first time in our married life, I saw Josh eat some shrimp and I just had to document it!

Several years ago, the Elders Quroum presidency in our ward began doing an annual "all-you-can-eat shrimp" dinner. It always excited me to go, and I always loved attending and eating shrimp to my heart's content. Josh, however, only went to eat the side dishes and desserts. Well, this year, the old EQ presidency was released, and Josh was called to serve as a counselor in the new EQ presidency. And they decided to keep the tradition of the annual shrimp feed. He cooked shrimp all evening long: grilled shrimp, fried shrimp, buttered shrimp, garlic flavored shrimp. It was GOOOOD shrimp, and I was so impressed with him for cooking it for so long that evening! (He doesn't even let me cook seafood in our house because he can't stand the smell of it.) And at the end of the party, he finally sat down, and actually ate 3 of them!!!

A week after the shrimp feed, we decided to take the boys out for dinner. We rarely take the whole family out for dinner due to the expense of it, but I'd received a gift certificate to the local bakery and I wanted to treat everyone to a dinner using it. On Wednesday nights, the bakery makes pizza, and we'd heard so many good things about it so we wanted to give it a try! The bakery is a narrow building on main street, and there isn't much seating inside. Because they use large fire ovens, they can only make a couple of pizzas at a time. When we got there, we placed our order, and they said it would be an hour before the pizza was ready. So we took the boys to the grocery store and got drinks and then went to the park to play for a while, and when we came back, the bakery was crammed full of people. We waited another 15 minutes inside the restaurant, and thankfully, right before our pizza was done, a table cleared and we were able to sit down. We had ordered a meat lovers pizza (our favorite kind), and it was absolutely HUGE! We'd never seen a pizza so big! It was delivered on a large piece of wood because it doesn't fit in a regular pan or box, so the pizza was shaped like a rectangle. It was delicious, and the boys all really liked it! It was fun to have something different for dinner, and despite the long wait, we had a good time together!
 (I was trying to show how big the pizza was in comparison to my hand)

1 comment:

Gina said...

I've heard that the bakery has good pizzas, I really would like to try them sometime. Sounds like a good family outing, I can't believe people don't like shrimp!