Friday, July 29, 2011

bff's

I love my friends, and I'm grateful for what my friends bring to my life. I am a person who needs to have friends in my life, and because of that, I have several 'best' friends. My husband isn't like me in that respect. He loves his friends, but he doesn't "need" friends like I do, so he doesn't have very many friends. Usually, my friends become his friends! He has one best friend, and it's the same best friend he had in high school.  Josh and his bff Ryan haven't lived by each other since their teenage years, but when Ryan married Josh's cousin Heidi, he became a relative in addition to being a best friend to him! It's great for Josh to go to family functions and get to hang out with his best friend at the same time!!! I think that Ryan had the right idea, and I've decided that the best way to keep a best friend in your life, is to marry a relative of theirs!!!

Last month, Ryan and Heidi came to Salmon for Grandma's funeral, and I thought about some of the times we've gotten together over the years. It's fun to look back and see how different these 2 men looked then, verses how they look today!

In 1999, at Jodi and Skott's wedding:

In 2000, at Ammon's baby blessing:

At Christmas 2001, before Pa-ah's funeral:

In May 2008, for Weaton's mission farewell:

And in June 2011, after Grandma's funeral:

Over the years, I think Ryan has lost a few pounds, and Josh has found a few...but somehow they've both gotten better looking with age (in my opinion, anyways)! When I first met Josh, he referred to Ryan as his "best man". I really appreciate Ryan's positive influence and good example in Josh's life, especially during their teenage years. Because of Ryan, I know that Josh is a better man today! If Josh only has one best friend in his lifetime, I'm glad that it's Ryan that fills that role because he's the best kind of friend to have.

1 comment:

Ryan n Heidi said...

Oh Kala- you are so sweet! I just read this post and LOVE IT!!! I should thank Josh for introducing Ryan and I because without him, I wouldn't be the person I am today. Ryan is surely one of those people that leaves one better than they were...
Yep, we are blessed to know Ryan! and he has always enjoyed Josh's company, and I know misses it too!