Monday, June 6, 2011

Jammin' with Jovi

For over a decade now, I have wanted to see Bon Jovi in concert. I wanted it so badly that I even added it to my 'bucket list'. So when I learned that he would be coming in concert to SLC, I was so excited! I purchased 3 of the second-to-the-cheapest tickets to the March 22nd concert. My friend Heather (who'd gone to see Lady Gaga with us) was going to see Bon Jovi with us too! 
Unfortunately, the day of the concert, Heather got sick with the flu. So my sister Tawna joined us for the evening instead. And also unfortunately, my cheap tickets landed us the VERY top row in the far right corner facing the stage.  
If I'd known that's where the seats were going to be, I would've brought binoculars. But thankfully, sitting in the row right in front were a group of ladies in their fifties, and they had several pairs. So during the evening, they occasionally let us borrow them! Those ladies loved Bon Jovi, and it's no surprise why...
In addition to being gorgeous, Jon Bon Jovi is simply an amazing performer!!! He has a way of really including the audience in his musical selections. I love his style!  3 days prior to his concert, we attended Lady Gaga's, which was all about the costumes and sets and back-up dancers. Unlike Lady Gaga, Bon Jovi was all about the music and the digital screens and the visual effects. When he first came out, there was a giant screen above him, but during the show, the screen split into 12 mini sections or 6 small sections or 2 half screens. It was incredible and mesmerizing! And the screens moved all around the stage, and they moved diagonally as well. Here's some photos to help visualize what I'm describing:  
After a few songs, Bon Jovi got really hot on the stage, so he took off his jacket. The ladies in front of us went crazy!!! They let me borrow their binoculars to see the sweat dripping off his body. He definitely looked good in a sleeveless shirt! 
Then he changed into a dry shirt and performed a few duets with Richie Sambora. I loved the duets! My favorite was one that Jon did with another guy in his band, and they sang the song "Hallelujah". It was the same version of the one that's on the movie "Shrek", and it was SO beautiful! 
The band did a mixture of songs: rock songs from our youth, and songs from the recent generation. Bon Jovi is timeless to us, and Josh and I loved the mixture of old and new! Before performing the song "The More Things Change", Jon said that he'd been performing rock and roll long before the newest rock singers were even born yet! In the song, the lyrics go "the more things change, the more they stay the same", and he talked about how new artists and new styles have come, but his band is still singing good ole' rock and roll, and they're still going strong!    
They ended the show with a Bang! Their last 3 songs were "Blaze of Glory", "Have a Nice Day", and "Keep the Faith". I loved the digital fireworks on the big screen! 
Then they came out for the encore, and it was absolutely phenomenal! Jon was wearing a sleeveless shirt again! He and Richie performed another duet "Wanted Dead or Alive", and the final song number was a grand "Livin on a Prayer" with the large screen displaying fan's videos of singing the song. It was a glorious finale!
Bon Jovi performed for two flawless hours! We both loved it! I would totally pay to see him again, except next time, I'm going to purchase tickets that are not in the nose-bleeds so that I can be a little more 'up close and personal' with the Hottie Bon Jovi!!! Attending the Bon Jovi concert was the perfect ending to our couple's vacation, as well as the first item I got to cross of my official Bucket List!! 

No comments: