Saturday, January 29, 2011

501

Okay...so regarding my last post: the number I chose for the winner was 4, because I've been blogging for 44 months.

The 4th person who commented was Marsha. Yay for Marsha! And Marsha, you guessed it: you win a jar of home-canned pumpkin butter, made from home-grown pumpkins and home-processed pumpkin puree! I will be mailing that to you this next week! Hope you enjoy!

And for those of you who asked, here's the recipe that my sis-in-law Jen gave me:

Amish Pumpkin Butter

Ingredients:
1 can (29 oz) pumpkin puree
3/4 cup apple juice
2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Instructions:
1. Combine pumpkin, apple juice, spices, and sugar in a large saucepan; stir well. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until thickened. Stir frequently.

2. Spoon hot pumpkin mixture into hot jars, filling to within 1/4 inch from top. Remove air bubbles; wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.

3. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

(It says it yields 40 servings, but I have no idea how large they consider a serving size. I think I tripled the recipe, and it filled 12 half-pint jars, so a single batch would produce about 4 half-pint jars or 2 pint jars.)

1 comment:

Marsha said...

WOOT! I AM SO EXCITED! Yippee! Thank you so much. I can't wait to check the mail now. :)