Monday, December 27, 2010

Backtrack to Boise

Since I've been working on my 25 days of Christmas this month, I've neglected my regular blogging. So I'm going to back-up in time to the middle of November, when we took a little excursion to Boise.

Josh has served on the local school board for over 2 years. Two Monday nights a month (sometimes it's more frequent), he attends school board meetings. Here he is right before a meeting, looking all handsome while reading through the upcoming meeting's agenda:
In the middle of November, the ISBA (Idaho School Board Association) held some meetings in Boise. The rest of the Salmon School Board was going, and I convinced Josh to attend as well (even though he didn't want to, but I really wanted him to go because I wanted to go to Boise!). It was a 3-day, 2-night trip during the middle of the week. The older 3 boys were in school, so I had no choice but to take Kanyon on the trip with us. It's a 4 1/2 hour drive to Boise from Salmon, and almost the whole roadway is winding and curvy, as it follows rivers and mountain ranges. Thankfully, Kanyon did well in the car and, because of dramamine, he didn't even puke (a first for that road)!

The first evening we were there, we took Kanyon to go play with our sister-in-law Alyssa while we went to dinner, and he had so much fun with her! Josh and I ate at P.F. Chang's with the rest of the local school board and the Salmon schools Superintendent. We had never eaten there before, and Josh was not looking forward to going to an oriental restaurant (because he can't stand Chinese food), but we both enjoyed dinner! We all ate family-style (which I've NEVER done), and it was awesome to try so many different good foods!

After dinner was over and we picked up Kanyon, we went to our fabulous hotel and went swimming for an hour before bed. Kanyon absolutely loved it!
The next day, Josh went to meetings all day long. While he was gone, I went to the Boise Temple that morning. I took Kanyon to my friend D'Neill's house and he had so much fun playing with her daughter Paige! After the temple session, I ate lunch with D'Neill and visited for several hours with her at her house! I had a wonderful time catching up with her and being in her beautiful home!
Then I took Kanyon miniature golfing. That boy loves golfing, and he had a great time whacking the ball over and over again! He even beat me on one hole (out of the 36 that we played)! We had so much fun together!

Then we picked up Josh from his meetings, went to dinner at a buffet restaurant, and we visited Josh's best friend and cousin Ryan and Heidi and their daughter Ayla at their home for the rest of the night. We enjoyed their company and I was so excited to finally meet Ayla in person! She's a cute little girl and we loved hanging out with their family!

After we got back to the hotel, we went swimming again for an hour before bedtime. Kanyon loved being in the water with us, playing and swimming and soaking! And it relaxed us to sit in the hot tubs, too! The next day, Josh had meetings for half the day, so I took Kanyon shopping in the morning for several hours.

After lunch, we picked up Josh and went to the Boise Zoo. Neither Josh nor Kanyon had been there before. Unfortunately, since it's the off-season, lots of the animals weren't outside. But, the nice thing about going in the off-season is that there's a LOT less people around, too!! It only took us an hour and a half to walk through the whole zoo!

Kanyon's favorite thing to do at the zoo was feeding the sheep and goats, and his favorite animals to see were the warthogs.

We drove home all afternoon, and got back to Salmon in time to see Ammon's first basketball game. All night long, and all the next day, Kanyon kept crying to go back to his "other home". He said he did NOT want to go to "this home" (the one in Salmon), he wanted to go to the home with the swimming pool and the elevator (the hotel in Boise)! He had such a great time; he wasn't ready to come home from the short vacation! But for me, it was just right! I was grateful to spend time away from home, spend quality time with friends, have fun with Kanyon, do some shopping, relax at the hotel, and come back to see my kids. The amount of time away was just perfect for me--and since Josh and I had a fight in the car the whole way home, I was glad we weren't alone together for another day!!! Good times, good times.

1 comment:

birdeeb said...

Hey feel free to come visit us if you are here again :o) We are in Caldwell...also if you need a place to stay we are here! :o) Of course we don't have a pool though haha :o)