Saturday, December 18, 2010

18th Day of Christmas - Amy

Introducing...Josh's cousin/my friend AMY
Amy is a sister to Heidi and Carrie, who I previously highlighted last week. I met Amy shortly after Josh and I were married. A week after our wedding, we came to Salmon to have an open house. One of the days we were in town, we went to a soccer game of Josh's little brother Malachi. Amy was there at her son's soccer game as well. She and Josh exchanged greetings, and then Josh introduced Amy to me. She said she had something for us, and she went to her car and came back with our wedding gift: a matted and framed, cross-stitched piece of art. She had hand-stitched the words "TOLMAN" on it herself! It was so beautiful and I absolutely loved it! I had it on display in our home for years!

At various family functions over the next several years, I came in contact with Amy and her husband Myron and their children. But it wasn't until after we moved to Salmon in 2001 that I really got to know her better. In 2002, I was called to serve in the ward Young Women's organization under her direction as President. I enjoyed working with her. She was always so organized, and creative, and fun. The girls felt comfortable with her, and she was an excellent leader. I truly admired the way she led the group. And I'm so grateful for the opportunity I had to work with her, because we became good friends as a result of it.

The next year, I became pregnant with the twins. During August and September of 2003, I had to drive to Idaho Falls twice a week to see the OB/GYN and to have ultrasounds because their spinal cords were wrapped around each other and we were closely monitoring the blood flow that each of them were receiving. It was a busy time, because not only was I still working full-time, but Josh was also working full-time and coaching the H.S. cross country team. He usually came with me to one appointment a week, and the other time I always took a friend with me because of the long 5-hour round-trip driving distance. I took Amy with me several of those times, and I appreciated her friendship and companionship, not only in the car, but also during the stressful time spent in the Dr.'s office. She was a source of support and strength to me, and I was so grateful for her time and sacrifice to go with me.

I have so many wonderful memories of quality time spent with Amy. Our family used to go camping at Challis Hot Springs with her and her family at the first sign of spring, and we all loved it. For the longest time, I used to go over to Amy's house occasionally at bed-time, and we would spend hours on the couch chatting and laughing and eating until the wee hours of the morning when I finally was tired enough to go home to bed. Those late-night visits were life-savers for my sanity many times, and I was so grateful that she was a night-owl like me and that she always welcomed me into her home! When the twins were born prematurely, and were life-flighted to Salt Lake City, I had to stay behind in Idaho Falls for 3 days alone. I was so lonely, and she called me in the hospital every single day, and she babysat Ammon for us that first week. After we finally came home from the hospital 2 months later, she organized meals to be brought into our home for that first transitional week. I can never repay her for the kindness she showed us during that very stressful time in our lives.

Amy is seriously the best hostess that I've ever met. She pays attention to detail, she is very organized, and she's a planner. When she throws a party, she does it with style. Her home is beautifully decorated, her food is SO delicious, and the company is always a pleasure. She is able to throw a party and make everyone feel at ease, while she serves and hosts with a smile. She never seems stressed, she always knows how to keep an organized event moving along, and she makes it all seem so effortless. I admire her hostessing abilities above all else. Whenever I host a party or a get-together, I always think of Amy and wonder how she does it so perfectly, because no matter how hard I try, I can never pull it off as smoothly! Hosting parties is definitely a real talent, and she's got it!

She is such a riot to be with! I love her beautiful smile and her contagious laugh and her brilliant sense of humor! She says and does the funniest things, and never worries about what other people may think of her. Amy is charming, and I always feel so comfortable around her! She is easy to talk to, and so fun to be with. Last year, she moved away, and life in Salmon hasn't felt the same in her absence.

Amy, thank you for being my friend. You are such a joy to be with, and I treasure the time we've been able to spend together. You have been a bright spot in my life, and I'm so blessed that you've been a part of it! I love you, and I miss you tremendously!!

No comments: