Friday, October 15, 2010

if you plant it, they will grow...

How To Grow a Pumpkin Patch:

Pick a good patch of soil, and till the ground:

Plant the Seeds in groups of 3-4 per hill:
Weed it, Water it, Watch it Grow:
Pluck the pumpkins from the vines before the first hard freeze:

And the pumpkins are now ready to sell!

The Lil' Munchkins' Patch of Pumpkins is officially opening up tomorrow! We will be open from 11-5 on Saturdays October 16 and 23. We've grown pumpkins for several years now, but this is just the 2nd year that we've grown a large enough patch to open up to the public. It is so much fun growing the pumpkins and then having people of the community come to us and pick their special pumpkin out! It's always exciting for me to watch the whole process!

The life cycle of a pumpkin:

Seeds planted in May

Sprouts Appear

Vines and Flowers grow

Baby Pumpkins begin

Pumpkins grow plump and green

Pumpkins turn orange

Pumpkins gets picked in October

Pumpkins are gutted in preparation for carving.
The seeds are removed and the cycle begins all over again the next spring!!!

4 comments:

Sunshine Designed said...

Do you grow yours from your own harvested seeds?

Kristi said...

Hi. I saw your comment on cjane and it caught my eye because I'm a Tolman too!

It's not the most common last name so it jumped right off the computer screen at me.

We grew pumpkins a couple years too but it just doesn't work quite the same in suburban Chicago.

Trina said...

Sounds like a lot of work to me! But I'm glad it's a (mostly) fun, family activity for y'all.

Debra said...

Wow that is a ton of work! How fun for the kids! I have 1 pumpkin plant and we got like 8 of the tiniest little pumpkins...it'll work for my little kids this year but I really got to get some pointers on getting those big plump pumpkins! My kids won't always want the teeny-tinies...