Monday, October 25, 2010

Food, Glorious Food (chapter 1)

One of my personal goals for 2010 is to "make something new and different with every food item we grow". This goal has really pushed me to use what produce was grown. This goal also forced me into trying new recipes; getting me to venture out of my comfort zone!

I've actually really enjoyed trying to complete this goal! Rather than posting all about each food on one long post, I've decided to do several blog posts about all the different food items we grew this year. Because each food item was a part of the goal being completed, each food will have its own "chapter" post.

Chapter 1: RHUBARB

I love rhubarb. As in LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! For years and years, I've wanted to grow it. I talk about it every summer; it's the first thing I wanted to grow when we began planting our garden after moving to Salmon. I've gotten transplants from others, and have tried to grow it myself, but have never been able to grow it successfully! Until THIS year! We got some starts last fall from our neighbors the Harris family. Josh planted them underneath the tree in our garden. I didn't expect them to grow, since I'd never been able to before. But this spring, with all the rain, the two plants not only grew, but they flourished!!!


I was so surprised! And SOOO happy!!! The only problem was, since I'd never actually grew the stuff, I didn't know when I should pick them or how to pick them! I consulted Google, as well as the Harris family, and I finally felt like they were ready to be picked over the July 4th weekend.
I've been given rhubarb in the past, and I've always made pies with them. But, since I had to make something different this time around, I searched for recipes and I found one for a Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble that sounded delicious. I bought some strawberries from the store to complete the recipe, and I made it for a big family luncheon over the 4th. The Harris family was invited, and they came bearing rhubarb desserts as well!!! I thought my crumble turned out really good! Josh hates fruit and Edward doesn't like rhubarb, but they both thought my dessert was spectacular! So, to me that spells success.

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Recipe:

1. Mix 2/3 cup yellow cake mix, 2 eggs, and 1 cup sour cream together.

2. Chop 1 2/3 cup rhubarb and 1 2/3 cup strawberries.

3. Combine berries and batter. Pour into greased 9x13 cake pan.

4. Mix rest of yellow cake mix with 2/3 cup packed brown sugar. Cut 2 TB butter into mixture. Stir in 2/3 cup chopped walnut. Pour over cake batter. Bake at 350* for 45 minutes.

I added the recipe to my 'keepers' box and I was excited at the prospect of making it again when more rhubarb had grown.

Unfortunately, that was the only rhubarb food item I ever made this year. I trimmed the shade tree above where the rhubarb plants were, so they started receiving more light than shade. And since it rained all spring, I kept forgetting to water the plants in the summer. Without the shade of the tree and with no water to drink, the parts of the plants that I didn't pick ended up dying within weeks of when I picked the first crop from them.

I'm hoping they'll grow back again next spring. Because I've been dying to have more of that dessert from home-grown rhubarb ever since I first tasted of its sweetness in July!

2 comments:

Gina said...

I never thought I'd like rubarb, but when it is in stuff I can't really even taste it. I have had strawberry rubarb stuff before and it is good! Way to try something new.

Debra said...

We Love Strawberry Rhubarb! I have a huge Rhubarb plant in my front yard and every year we get our 2 or 3 pies out of it...so good!