Saturday, August 7, 2010

chopped

Remember how I said I have a hard time paying for certain things for myself?

Well, in addition to new shoes, that also includes haircuts.

I wait and wait for as long as I can possibly stand it before getting a haircut, which is usually 3-4 months. The truth is, I love having my haircut; I just have difficulty rationalizing to myself that the cost is worth it.

My hair is so different from what it used to be. When I was a child, it was SO thick. When I was a teenager, it was SO curly. When I graduated from high school, it was SO long. And now? Well, having children affected it in many ways--and now it is thin, straight, lifeless, and short.

Once in a while, I tell myself I can go longer without getting a haircut because I'll just grow it out so that it's long enough to put in ponytails. But then my hair looks so stringy and awful, that I HAVE to put it in a ponytail, because there's nothing else to do with it! That was the case this spring. I grew it out long enough to put in a ponytail, and then I hated it. I wanted it short, but I couldn't decide on what kind of a cut I wanted.

Finally, one morning, I felt desperate. The very next day I was going in for an important job interview, and I wanted to look good and I wanted to feel good about myself. I felt like my hair was preventing me from looking and feeling good. I called the beauty salon to see if there was any appointments open in the next 24 hours with Amanda (she's my favorite girl in town--I love how she does my hair). Of course, she was booked for a week. So, I took matters into my own hands. At that time, we were living in the camping trailer in the backyard waiting for the new house to be completed. I walked up to our old mobile home where the scissors were. I got the scissors out and started cutting. I couldn't see in the back, so I just felt with my fingers. I was pretty happy with the cut. I took the scissors and walked back down to the camping trailer, and the phone rang as soon as I walked through the door. It was Amanda, saying she had a cancellation and that she could fit me in that afternoon. I told her what I had just done, and she told me to put the scissors down and to not touch them anymore. But, of course, I didn't listen. I kept cutting away at the front of my hair because I couldn't get the sides to even up--I trimmed one side, then the other, then back to the first, and so on. And then my hair was shorter than I ever intended. Whoops!!! When I saw her that afternoon, she made a few little cuts. She told me, "You did a pretty good job, but DON'T EVER DO IT AGAIN!!!" The truth is, I've always wanted to cut my own hair, but I was never brave enough to it. I was actually pretty content with the job that I did--I might just do it again someday!!!

BEFORE: (I couldn't find a recent photo of me with long hair; this picture was taken in April, and my hair had gotten longer than what it shows here)
AFTER:

3 comments:

D'Neill said...

It's so cute!!! You look really great. I totally am with you cutting your own hair. I did it for years when Jeremy was going to school and we had NO money. I couldn't justify spending any money on myself and would get it cut maybe once a year. You did a great job :)

darcymae said...

wow! you did a pretty good job. i'm impressed!

Hailey Linger said...

Truly I'm amazed at your skill. If I had cut my hair myself it would look like my barbie from 2nd grade. (in other words, not good) Been thinking about you and finally got a few minutes to catch up on your blog. Miss ya!