Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Bliss-ful and Pissed-off

(Out with the Old, In with the New: Part 9)

When the construction crew left on May 21 (a Friday), they said the concrete would have to sit between 5-7 days to be completely cured before the house could be set upon it. We figured that meant our house would arrive the next week, between Wed. the 26th and Fri. the 28th. On Tuesday, I went with Ammon on his field trip (see previous post). We loaded onto the bus at 8:00am for the field trip, and ten minutes after leaving, I was out of cell phone service the entire day until ten minutes before returning back to the school around 3:00. As soon as I got back in cell phone range, I noticed I had a message. It was from our home sales company, saying our house was on its way. That message was left at noon, after the home had already departed, and we live 2 1/2 hours from Idaho Falls where the home came from. I could not get off that bus fast enough! I drove the 7+ miles home from the school as quickly as possible, only to discover that I'd already missed all the action. Half of the home was parked right next to our foundation with no truck attached. I was extremely disappointed. I'd been anticipating for weeks and months the arrival of the new house, and I'd wanted to be present when it happened. I wanted to document through photos and video its arrival--kind of like the birth of a baby. I loved the sight of the house parked right next to where it would go forever. I was SO happy that it came ahead of schedule! But at the same time, I was SO mad that I wasn't there when it happened and I'd missed it all!!!

Ammon and I had both taken our cameras with us on the field trip, leaving no cameras at home. Josh knew I'd be upset about missing out on the events of the day, so he whipped out his cell phone and took most of the following photos (bonus points for such an awesome technological device and brownie points to Josh for using it!).

Our driveway makes a narrow, 90-degree turn behind Grandpa's shop and it would've been impossible for the trucks carrying the home-halves to clear it. So, instead, they came from the road above our house and through the field. This is a picture of the first truck making the turn off the asphalt road onto the gravel ranch-road that cuts through the field of hay:
The first truck was carrying the front half of the house (thankfully, the wheel line in the picture was not turned on that day otherwise the ground would've been soft and wet and the trucks would've been harder to maneuver):

Since the back half of the house had to be put on the foundation first, the first truck carrying the front half moved over into the field for the second truck:
The second truck was carrying the back half of the house:

The truck took a 45-degree angle in the field before entering through the gate that leads to our driveway:

Because of the angle that the driver took, he was able to pull up parellel to the home's foundation without any problems:


The home-half needed to be placed in an exact position next to the foundation, so the driver pulled it forward and backed it up a few times to get it perfect:

(see the second half waiting in the field above?!)

And I arrived home just in time to see the semi-truck leave our driveway!!! This is the part that I saw:
And soon enough, upon oohing and ahhing over seeing my home on my property, the anger dissipated into pure joy!!!

And watching it being placed on the foundation the following day was even better (especially since I was there to witness it)!!!

...to be continued

4 comments:

Debra said...

Yeah! So Exciting! I bet you can hardly wait!

Anonymous said...

That is great! What a thoughtful guy to get those great pictures!
--Tiffany

My Weightloss Journey said...

And it such a beautiful home :) Congrats you deserve it!!!

Melissa said...

*sweet*! I bet you were ecstatic to have it finally be so close to moving in time! :)