Thursday, April 29, 2010

Strictly

Tonight, I watched one of my favorite movies of all time:I love this movie!! What's not to love about it?!! It's full of comical 'cliche' humor and quirkiness, beautiful music, gorgeous costumes, excellent dancing, a very hot actor, and an inspiring story. And I also love this movie because of the memories it evokes within me...

"TIME AFTER TIME"
The song is played over and over in the scene where he is trying to teach her to dance, and I've loved the song ever since I heard it on the movie 15 years ago. Last fall, on the way home from my grandmother's funeral, my friend Kimi and I sang it over and over in the car on the long drive until we got the words and the parts down perfectly. It was one of the best car rides of my entire life. When I hear this song, I think of mastering it with my girlfriend Kimi.

"PERHAPS, PERHAPS, PERHAPS"
This song is played during a very romantic dancing scene. It makes me think of my favorite 'slow' dance experience ever, which occurred the summer before my senior year in high school. I was attending "Engineering State" at USU, and on the final night of the week-long event, a dance was held. On one particular song, my friend Nate Ward asked me to dance with him. I've never forgotten that one memorable dance. He was an incredible dancer, and moved effortlessly with the slow song. His legs and arms and body were so in tune with the music; it's indescribable to explain. It was just the best slow dance of my life for sure! When I see that scene in the movie accompanied by that song, I think of that one perfect dance so many years ago with my old high school friend Nate.

"LOVE IS IN THE AIR"
This song is the final number of the show, where the whole audience is dancing on the floor in celebration of the finale. As the movie wrapped up, I couldn't help but think about the first time I watched it. During my sophomore year of high school, a group of us drama nerds gathered in Mr. Bahr's backstage room and watched it together. I had so much fun viewing it back then with my fellow theatrical friends! We watched it multiple times during the course of my high school years, and I have fond memories of doing so. When I see that scene of happiness coming together at the end of the movie, I think of my high school drama years, and of what a wonderful time in my life that was.

For me, Strictly Ballroom is strictly timeless and happiness! And tonight, it was exactly what I needed!

2 comments:

Stacy said...

I remember watching this movie at your house. GOod times.

Miss Heather said...

I LOVE Strictly Ballroom!! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! But I love you more! :)