Monday, February 15, 2010

The BS Club

I think book orders are wonderful.

I think school library book fairs are divine.

There's just something about new children's books--the beautiful illustrations, the untouched pages, the colorful covers.

I just can't get enough of them!!!

My sons' book orders are always returned, filled out, money attached.

Our school's book fairs are always attended, books purchased, checks written.

My love affair with buying childrens books started when I was in the 4th grade.

Because that was the year my addiction began.

An addiction to the B.S.C.

(For all of you who weren't faithful followers like me, the B.S.C. means "the Baby-Sitters Club".)


After checking out the first dozen B.S.C. books from the school library, I was hooked.

For 2 years, I spent every possible dime I could purchasing B.S.C. books from book orders and book fairs.

I was involved in the lives of those baby-sitters, I was inspired by their stories, and I learned how to be a good baby-sitter and friend from them.

I couldn't wait to get my hands on each new book in the series written by Ann M. Martin, especially the "Super Special" adventure ones, they were my favorite!

I have loved these books. I feel bonded to them. They are a part of my childhood, my history, my life. I have held onto them for 20 years, thinking that some day I would have a daughter who would treasure them as much as I did.

But you all know that's not going to happen.

My mother once shared her love of "Nancy Drew" stories from her childhood with me, hoping that I would inherit her same youthful passion for those books. Unfortunately, I hate reading mysteries, which meant I disliked reading Nancy Drew.

In comparison, I doubt any of my boys will ever be interested in reading about young girls who liked babysitting, so now I know the disappointment my mother must have felt!

It is time for me to free up some space in my shed and my soul, and part ways with the B.S.C. books.

I tried to donate them to the school library, but the librarian refused them. She said, "the young girls aren't interested in those types of books anymore". I wanted to cry. But deep inside, I already knew 10-year-old girls nowadays aren't into babysitting anymore.

Times have changed since I was a 4th grader. My son is a 4th grader now, and I can see many differences...

When I was in 4th grade our family didn't even have cable TV or a VCR--now it seems everyone has Dish DVR or Digital Cable on Demand. In the 4th grade, I listened to my Walkman tape/radio--not an iPod or MP3. Our school had large ancient computers, where the screen only showed two colors and the only game on it was "the Oregon Trail"--now laptops have mega pixel screens and large GB storage and are filled with hundreds of programs. We played dodgeball and 4-square and MASH and Chinese Jumprope at recess. Back then, we didn't have wii or cell phones or internet. In the 4th grade, I had hopes of someday inventing a "tv-watch", where you could view TV on a monitor attached to your wrist--and now the iPhone makes my dream possible.

The differences are numerous between my life in 4th grade in 1989 and my son's life in 4th grade in 2009.

But, at least there is ONE great thing that hasn't changed: monthly book orders and school library book fairs.

And I'm still addicted to them!!

8 comments:

Salmon Tolman Family said...

I liked "The Hardy Boys", the male equivalents of Nancy Drew. But then again I love mysteries. Then I moved on to anything with horses in it, and then everything Louis Lamour. Guess I'm just a cowboy at heart, I will be glad to get all my books out of the shed when we move, and share them with my sons. good post. JOSH

Kayce said...

How fun! I haven't thought about B.S.C. or Oregon Trail for years. I love it and I LOVE new books (libraries are just not the same!). Good luck with your collection. I guess times really have changed.

Franson Funny Farm said...

My favorites growing up were the Boxcar Children and the Bobsey Twins. I know nobody even knows anything about them nowadays. I couldn't beging to get my kids interested in them. They did like the B.S.C books some. I am like you, Kala--books are wonderful. As much as Jud likes books, I am excited for when he learns to read on his own and curious as to which ones he will choose.

Angela said...

I loved the BSC books. I didn't read every one, but still loved them. I think it's sad how much everything has changed since we were younger, but I'm sure that's how every generation feels. I just wish I could find a good baby-sitter.

Sunshine Designed said...

I know a girl who would probably LOVE them. I read them all too.

Hailey Linger said...

Ha Ha! I can't believe you still have those. No wait a minute...yes I can. I used to a big BSC fan too. I had a board game I used to play with a cousin. I moved on to Sweet Valley High after that. Remember those? I think having an addiction to books is healthy, but I'm probably a little biased. :)

Anonymous said...

Don't listen to your librarian -- my girls liked them! --Tiffany

Emily said...

Kala, I loved BSC!! I read every one of them- I also loved Trixie Beldon, Boxcar Children, Nancy Drew, Encyclopedia Brown, and Josh, I even read the Hardy Boys! To funny. I've saved all of my Boxcar Children and Anne of Green Gables for my kids. I have a niece that Loves to read and I know would love to borrow them. Or I bet you could sell them on Amazon or KSL.