Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Today

Today my grandma lived her last day on earth.

Today my son said to me "I'm glad I got to meet her before she died".

Today I cried. Today I relived memories from my childhood with my grandma...like the time I didn't eat all my carrots at her house, and all the times spent on the lake by her home, the times we went shopping together, the times we ate at the buffet in our nice "going-to-town" clothes, the times we colored in her "special" books, the times we sat on her yellow swing talking.

Today I had memories from my adulthood: talking with her at Aunt Candi's funeral, visiting her in her new house, surprising her on her birthday two years ago with all my sisters present, watching my children interact with her and grandpa, eating at her favorite restaurant with her, shopping with her and Tawna, listening to her as she retold experiences.

Today I thought about how much I loved her. I loved her stories. I loved her laugh. I loved her blunt personality. I loved her food. I loved her house. I loved how she never forgot a birthday. I loved how she remembered every detail of the past. I loved how she believed in herself. I loved how she valued the gospel. I loved her for who she was.

Today things have changed. The Perkins family matriarch is gone. My wonderful, humorous, beautiful grandmother Augusta Rigby Perkins has passed on to the next life. She will be greatly missed.

9 comments:

darcymae said...

how sweet!

Sunshine Designed said...

Great Tribute Kala. She was great!

Debra said...

What a blessing for your boys to have been able to know her...

Candise said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandma, your words and memories are beautiful!

Melissa said...

I'm glad you have good memories of her. I felt similar things when my grandma died. I'm glad your kids got to meet her. :)

Hansen Family said...

What an amazing list of memories that you have of her. You were so lucky to have such a woman in your life. Sorry to hear though. Hang in there.

Jackie said...

What a sweet post. I'm sorry you lost your grandma.

D'Neill said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma! What great memories you have of her, and how well you can write them! Hope you are doing o.k. - no matter if it was time for them to go, when someone you love dies, it's always hard..

Ryan n Heidi said...

What a sweet tribute Kala! It is great you can recall with fond memories and your boys were able to meet her.