Saturday, October 10, 2009

Lesson in Cake Decorating for the Dextrous Impaired

For weeks prior to their birthday, Jonah and Micah insisted that they wanted a SpongeBob Ice Cream Chocolate Cake. Unfortunately, their birthday was right around the same time as several other things, like Alyssa's bridal shower (which I gave), and soccer games (which I was in charge of), and the wedding (remember the reception was in our backyard?). So, uh, yeah...the birthday creeped up on me.
The day before our family birthday party for the twins, I remembered about the cake. I'm no cake decorator like my mother; I can't control my hands well enough to even squeeze the frosting out in legible letters! I called Josh, who was in town, and told him to go to the store. It was a Saturday, and the bakers had already left. There was no SpongeBob cake readily available. We live in a very small town with limited resources, as in ONE grocery store, and the grocery store is closed on Sunday. So there was nowhere else to go. Josh called me, and told me the choices available. I had him get one with red roses, because the cake and ice cream fillings were the right flavor.
I went to Alco on Sunday (sinner!) and got a SpongeBob coloring book. I cut out SpongeBob off the cover of the book in Relief Society (shame on me). The party was after church. So, as soon as we got home, I cut the flowers off the cake, put the SpongeBob cut-out on the cake, added some blue frosting around it to blend, and added a little birthday insignia. By that time, there was no room for their names!!!
VOILA:So there you have it! I'm either clever or foolish, but either way...Mission Accomplished!!!

6 comments:

Sunshine Designed said...

Clever for sure!!!

Miss Heather said...

I think you did a good job. :)

darcymae said...

definitely a good job considering the situation you were in!!

Melissa said...

I would say clever and creative!

Sunshine said...

oh the sinners in the world... they should all be hung by their toenails.. er...maybe not because.. uh... I would be up there with you!

Very clever indeed!

birdeeb said...

SO AWESOME! What a great idea!! COLORING BOOK! We went out and bought a car's toy set and all I did was died coconut and put the cars on it with a toy hay bale haha! I am SO not my mom either...she was so good with the frosting...I don't have the patience!