Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Time Travel via Gondola, Train, & Wagon


I have wanted to go to the Spokane Riverfront Park for as long as I can remember. I lived in Spokane Valley when I was in the 1st and 2nd grade, and the few times that we were near downtown Spokane and drove by, I always wanted to stop there. In July of this year, I took the boys and caravaned with my parents to Spokane to visit my grandparents who are both in their 90's. At the end of the visit, but before leaving the city, I took the boys to the park. So at the ripe old age of 29, I finally got my wish. While my mom watched Kanyon, my dad and sister Katrina joined us for a ride in a purple gondola (which Katrina compared to the Glass Elevator that Charlie rode in the book Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory). We went under a beautiful old bridge and saw the Spokane River and falls. It was only a 20 minute ride, but very cool! Then we rode the Park Train all around the park, while mom and dad sat out. Our driver and tour guide spoke about the park's activities and its history, including details of the 1974 World Fair.
After the ride was done, we walked over to the world's largest wagon, and the boys loved sliding down its handle and climbing on some of the nearby artistic blocks. There was so much more to do in the large and beautiful park, but that concluded our own two-hour tour! And my 23-year-long dream was complete!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

that looks like fun, hmm...mental note of fun and cool places to go on vacation...

darcymae said...

that DOES remind me of the elevator in willy wonka! how funny!! i love the giant wagon. how fun!

Debra said...

Oh how fun! I have been to Spokane before but it looks like I need to go back with the kids. They would have LOVED that Wagon!