Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A Texan in the Fam

Melissa, you win for being the first person to guess the correct answer for my poem contest as Lubbock, Texas. Since Texas is in the USA, your prize is an American 4th of July decoration! Please email me at joshkala@yahoo.com with your address, and I'll mail it to you. Congrats for winning!
Gideon was in Texas visiting his fiancee Alyssa's family (Alyssa is from Lubbock). They got engaged in May, and a September wedding is planned. When they told me they were engaged, I couldn't stop screaming and jumping up and down! This is the first wedding of Josh's siblings since we got married in 1998! The whole family is SO excited (some of us just show it more than others)!!!
(photo courtesy of Alyssa)
The last time I was in Texas was the summer after 6th grade. My dad and I drove to Florida to see my older sister Lisa's wedding. On the way back to Utah from the wedding, we stopped in Texas to visit my other older sister Michelle's grave in Killeen. The only thing I remember about Texas, other than seeing my sister's grave, was that Texas smelled bad. With the smells of the oil industries and the cow manure, I gagged most of the way across the state. When I first met Alyssa last year, I asked her where she was from. "Texas" she said. "Texas stinks" I said. I told her about my experience, and now we joke about stinky Texas. But nothing about Alyssa stinks. We love her and we are so glad Gideon is happy! Congrats you two! We can't wait!

3 comments:

D'Neill said...

I know exactly what smell you are talking about - my mom's family is from Oklahoma, we were just there on Father's Day - it DOES stink!

Melissa said...

Cute pics, you can't tell AT ALL that they are brothers. ;)

birdeeb said...

Never been there...She is pretty! I didn't know they danced at BYU! Very cool ;o)