Friday, July 24, 2009

An Evolution of Sport Sorts [part 2]

The summer after my sophomore year in High School, I attended GHA (Governor's Honors Academy). Fifty students from across the state of Utah spent two weeks on the campus of SUU going to seminars, traveling to nearby attractions, working on group projects, and eating, laughing, and learning together. It was one of my fondest teenage memories. Two of the mornings while there, we were taught how to play tennis. I had never played tennis before that, but those two mornings were magical. There was a certain boy who was assigned in my group, and I pretended that we were on a date learning to how to play tennis together. (A girl can dream...I was a month shy of my 16th birthday, and so romantical and dreamy at that stage of my life). For two days, it was my favorite sport ever. I played with enthusiasm and smiled with a flirty grin at the boy as he hit the ball back. Tennis is a wonderful two-person sport!!!

Josh and I own one tennis racket. I believe it came from my parent's garage when they were cleaning it out years ago. I believe it used to be my brother Mick's when he was a teenager. But even though we own a tennis racket, we never play it....probably because how can two people play with only ONE racket?!! I convinced Ammon to join group tennis lessons this summer. He was hesitant at first, but after having group golf lessons, he agreed to let me sign him up. The same group of boys were in the tennis group, and he liked it! The racket that we've been storing in the shed for years finally had a good use, and I enjoyed watching Ammon play. He was pretty good at it, too. Which made me think of those two days when I thought I was pretty good at it myself!
I hadn't really thought of that tennis incident from 14 summers ago, until I saw Ammon playing the sport. It's funny how a memory awakens in the brain after being forgotten for so long! Even now, I still think of tennis as a sport I enjoy playing, even though I had never played it before those two days and I've never tried it since!

2 comments:

Candise said...

Sounds like it's time to find another racquet! You may only be able to beat Ammon for a few more years!!!

Sunshine Designed said...

Don't you love old memory anchors(a new term I heard from a friend)? It is strange how an item can trigger a memory, that has long since faded, and bring that memory almost near a tangible state. I've had that happen a lot lately. It's crazy and so nostalgic! Loved your tennis story! Way to go Ammon!