Saturday, June 20, 2009

with a neigh neigh here, and a neigh neigh there

When Josh and I were first married, the Tolman Ranch & Dairy had beef cows, dairy cows, and almost a dozen horses. In 2001, the beef cows were all sold. In 2008, the dairy cows were all sold. And in between the two, the horses were either sold or given away to family members. The only remaining family horses are our two paint horses that pasture with two of the neighbor's brown horses. Horses are beautiful animals, and I especially like the pattern on our two. QT is the mother (Josh has had her since he was 12 years old), and Mia is her daughter (she was born in 2007). The brown horses are named Bella (she's a year older than Mia), and Dorkus (I don't actually know his name, but he's a dork).
Josh loves working with horses, and he is really good at it, too. His secret dream is to be a Horse Whisperer. I, on the other hand, do not like them. When we were dating, he took me on my very first horse ride on his Aunt Janet's property in Thatcher, Idaho. The only time I had been around horses before that was when I visited my Grandma Perkins' house once a summer when I was a kid, and we'd feed some horses down the lane some apples and sugar cubes. So of course, I had no idea what I was doing, and the horse that I was riding kept running around and kicking and I almost fell off. Now I'm scared of them! But thankfully, our boys aren't.
The following photos were taken while Josh, Ammon, and Kanyon were feeding the horses some oats. I like to think of it as a dessert for them after pasturing on grass! We don't visit them often enough, or take them oats as much as they would probably like. But the boys always love seeing them whenever we drive by them, and shout out in the car "Hi QT!, Hi Mia!, Bye QT!, Bye Mia!".

No comments: