Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Ten Virgins

At the beginning of May, I was in a stake production of the "Ten Virgins". We presented it for the Stake Women's Conference. I was so honored and privileged to be a part of it! The play is based on the parable of the Ten Virgins, as told in the New Testament. Each of the 10 virgins had speaking parts and a song, and a narrator gave an introduction to each character. I loved my character and my song. I was "Leora", a woman who takes the Spirit for her guide. My song was "Lantern Light" written by Mindy Gledhill. Each character had a lamp and a story with a lesson that could be applied to our day. My character's lamp was held in a crafted box atop a long branch that the "Shopkeeper" cut and smoothed for me so that I could light the path to direct the lost, the weary, and the worn find their way back home.
(I actually created my prop! Cool, huh?!)
The eleven of us practiced for 6 weeks so that we could all be memorized. I was a bit skeptical and nervous in the beginning, thinking that I wouldn't be able to memorize my long song and all my parts. But I practiced every day while making dinner and washing dishes, and within 2 weeks I was ready! The week of the production was difficult, with multiple practices and getting the microphones to work right and the details of the costume wardrobe just perfect. My costume was changed 3 times!
(Another performer, Maleah, and I right before the performance.)
The gym was packed with women! You could feel the Spirit present in the room; it was incredible. The performance went great, with only few flaws. Afterwards, everyone ate a delicious luncheon. My good friend Denise came and supported me and I enjoyed visiting with her.
The Stake Relief Society also had lamps made for everyone in attendance, to take home as a reminder of the lessons learned during the performance. It was so amazing to be a part of this production, and I am so grateful for this experience!

4 comments:

darcymae said...

fun! what a cool thing to be a part of!!

Tawna said...

I've seen that performed, it was beautiful. I took part in Women at the Well a few years ago and it meant a lot to me, I love how powerful music can be.

Miss Heather said...

Man, your stake does awesome stuff! That is so neat! Good for you!

My Weightloss Journey said...

You look so beautiful! And the costume was Spectacualr... GREAT JOB!!! Sounds like it was an amazing time and that you really enjoyed yourself!! :) Wish I could have heard you sing