Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Reasons

My Psychology 101 professor used to have the same discussion with us college students every day, by asking "Why do we do the things we do?". It was his favorite question, and he took pride in writing it on the chalkboard at the beginning of every class and spending an hour asking it repeatedly. The entire semester, our homework was to read the textbook on our own time, while every single class time was used to discuss the question. Needless to say, it's a question that I hate now, but one that I also commonly ask myself now, too.

After analazying my blogging, I discovered four reasons for doing it. The first two are the reasons "why" I started blogging:
1. to keep in touch with Family and Friends. I live several hours away from my family, and it's an excellent way to stay up-to-date on their lives and feel close to them, and vice-versa. And because I'm a stay-home mom that doesn't have a big social life anymore, it's awesome to keep in contact (in an easy, sort-of way) with distant friends as well. It's just so simple and can be done from my home and I love it!
2. to Focus on the Positive aspects of my life. When I started this blog last spring, I was going through a bit of a difficult time. I had some depression, and was focusing on so many negative parts of my life. Before I started to blog, I decided to only put positive things on it to help keep my focus where it needed to be. It has really helped!

Throughout the last year, I've had different styles of blog posts, and I've realized two reasons "why" I write what I do, and "why" I keep blogging:
1. to Record events, daily family happenings, and my thoughts. It's like a FUN online journal for me. I used to be a regular journal writer, but after I got married and had children, it became very sporadic. I wish that it wasn't that way, because it's such an important part of my life and I have so little written about it. For this reason alone, I'm so grateful that I blog!
2. so that I can Remember life as it was, as it happened. I never want to forget all the little details of life as it passes me by. And yet, I unfortunately seem to do just that. I've looked back on several of my blogs much later after they were written to help me remember details that happened or my thoughts about them. I love to relive my memories and happy moments of my life, and blogging allows me to do just that!

I had a contest on my previous post to see who could guess the most reasons "why". I put the beginning letters of my four reasons to help everyone guess, but I think it actually hindered the guesses! Thanks to all FIVE of you for participating! The results are: 4 out of 5 guessed two of the right reasons. Since there's such a huge tie, I'm giving the prize to Ammon (he's the youngest player, and a regular reader of my blog!). But I will be having another contest next week, a random one, so that anyone can win!!! I do hope you'll play along again!

3 comments:

Tawna said...

I LOVE YOU AMMON!!

My Weightloss Journey said...

You are such and inspiring Blogger too.. I only wish I could come up with the great stories you do... :) You are #1 on my list... :) love and miss ya lots....

Sunshine Designed said...

Way to go Ammon!