Thursday, May 28, 2009

Eleven Lessons

Josh and I got married on Good Friday right before Easter in 1998. We've been married eleven years now!!! After taking Kanyon to my mom's house after the hospital sleep lab, we went on an overnight anniversary date, which just so happened to be on the Good Friday right before Easter again! We so much appreciated my mom taking the kids for two nights in a row! We went to Logan and did a session at the Logan Temple where we were married 11 years ago! We had dinner at Chili's, and enjoyed eating alone together. Then we stayed the night at the Providence Inn Bed and Breakfast, which is where we spent our honeymoon. The room I wanted (the New Orleans one) was taken, so we stayed in the Bridal Suite. It was so nice! We've stayed at this B&B several times over the years to celebrate anniversaries, but this was by far our most relaxing visit. The room had a nice king bed, a large TV with a DVD player, a big jetted tub, a 2-person shower, a fireplace, a balcony, and was decorated in calming white and lavender. It was like heaven just lounging around basically doing nothing, watching movies, and eating a yummy breakfast. It was peaceful and enjoyable and I loved it!Josh and I have learned a lot over the years being married to each other. Here's Eleven Lessons learned from the past Eleven Years:
[JOSH] 1. Always get the last two words in: "yes, dear".
[KALA] 2. Arguments are better resolved by waiting to calm down before discussing the issue.
[JOSH] 3. You get a lot less sleep when you're married than when you're single.
[KALA] 4. With two people, a King bed is way more comfortable than a Double bed to sleep in.
[JOSH] 5. No matter how much time you spend together in the day, your wife only wants to talk to you about important matters at midnight.
[KALA] 6. No matter how many years you've been married, you still have to remind your husband when to take out the garbage, or that baths are Saturday night, or that the kids have to eat dinner preferably around 6:00.
[JOSH] 7. People aren't perfect and neither is marriage.
[KALA] 8. You can't change your partner, but you can change your attitude toward your partner.
[JOSH] 9. It is the GREATEST and the WORST thing in the world!!!
[KALA] 10. Nobody makes me feel more loved, or more irritated either!!!
[JOSH & KALA] 11. Communication is a necessity, and is the most important part of marriage!

We both agreed on the last subject. We've gone through some pretty rough and challenging times in our marriage, and we've survived because of the communication issue. We've had some really fun times too, and look forward to more of them! We truly love each other more today than the day we got married! Happy Anniversary dear! I don't know what I'd do without you! (and I like to think you'd be lost without me too! ;)

4 comments:

Jackie said...

That getaway sounds so nice. And I love your list. And how true is #5...I find myself doing that all the time!

My Weightloss Journey said...

Marriage is the hardest and best thing you will ever do.. Why is that?? I agree with the King bed one I would never make it through a night with out mine!! :) So glad you guys have made it 11 years it is so amazing... :) Love ya

Karl, Meg, and kids said...

Wow Kala, 11 years. We'll be there soon too. Crazy isn't it. SOunds like you guys have had a great 11 years together.

I just read about Kanyon too. You have had quite the challenges with children. You seem to deal with the so well. It look like you have been very blessed in you problems though and I pray that the Lord will continue to bless you. Good luck with it all. It can't be easy.

Megan

birdeeb said...

We lived in Logan for the 1st 5 years of our marriage, so when I saw the picture I stopped to read! That's awesome! I love how you have the list about marriage. Communication is HUGE & I am lacking at times...A LOT of work ;o)