Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A Short Visit

Boise to me means Aunt Candi. Ever since I was a little girl, we visited Aunt Candi & Uncle Kieth and their family in Boise; it's the only reason we ever went there. Every summer we went to visit my Grandma and Grandpa Perkins who lived on Lake Couer d'Alene, and we would break up the 12-hour drive there by going to Boise and spending the night at Aunt Candi's house. Even after I got married and moved to Idaho, whenever Josh had meetings in Boise and I went with him, I always tried to get a visit in at Aunt Candi's house.
Aunt Candi (right) with her best friend Janice (thanks for the photo Liz!)

The last time I visited her was February 2005, but she no longer lived at her home. Ammon and I visited her in a Care Center. She had suffered Encephalitis in fall of 2004, had multiple debilitating seizures around Christmas 2004, and then she had terminal cancer that began on her kidney and spread to the rest of her body. She passed away in July 2005.
Cousin Liz, Sister Tawna, me, Sister Tabbi, Sister Trina, & Ammon at her funeral

Boise to me still means Aunt Candi, but her presence is noticeably missed. I feel a void when I go there now. I love my Aunt Candi. She always spread happiness with her delightful humor. She always made me smile. She always showed that she genuinely cared. She shared her love by always knowing the right thing to say and do. She always remembered my birthday. I always felt loved in her presence. I miss her smile, and especially her laugh. I miss her warmth. I miss her welcoming home. I just miss her.
So when we went to Boise last weekend, I scheduled in a visit to see her. A visit of a different kind. We didn't get to see her smile or hear her laugh or squeeze her with a hug. But we spent time remembering her. She touched my life, and in my heart she will never be forgotten. And I want my children to know that.

1 comment:

Debra said...

Oh...It's so hard to say goodbye! I am sure you miss visiting her. Isn't it such a blessing to know that we will see those that pass away again...Thanks for sharing!