Thursday, July 3, 2008

365 days ago

My mom took this photo of My dad, Uncle Fred, Grandma Perkins, Grandpa Perkins, and sisters: Tabbi, Lisa, Tawna, Katrina, and Kala with Kanyon.

Last year at this time, I was visiting my Grandma and Grandpa Perkins in Spokane. My grandparents birthdays are July 4 and July 6; they turned 90 and 91. That is so amazing in itself. My dad did something so neat: he paid for my sister to fly in from Virginia, he paid for my gas to drive up, and my other sisters and my parents all came. We surprised my grandparents for their birthdays! It was SOOO awesome! I hadn't visited them at their house for 9 years, and I hadn't seen my sister Lisa for 12 years. It was so special to see my grandparents, and to have all of us sisters be together for it. We had a great time eating, visiting, and being together. Uncle Fred was there from Virginia as well, and Cody and BreAnne stopped by for a bit on their way to Utah. A real treat was when I went shopping with my Grandma and Tawna just like old times. Another great event was seeing the fireworks over the Lake Coeur d'Alene. It was a very memorable trip that I am so grateful to have been able to be a part of, and I will treasure the memories forever.
But, that meant that I was gone for the 4th of July festivities with my own family. The three older boys stayed home with Josh and were taken care of during the day by family and friends. It was the second time since moving to Salmon that we missed the Demolition Derby - a HUGE event in Salmon! (Side note: the only other time was when my brother got married in Seattle in 2005.) All last summer, Ammon kept asking when we were going to it, and we never had the heart to tell him that it was already over. Today we went to the parade, tomorrow we will play with the cousins and visit family, tomorrow night we will see the fireworks, and Saturday night we will go to the Demo Derby! I can't wait! It will be the first time that Jonah and Micah get to go, and they are so excited! And of course, Ammon is definitely planning on attending it! Our neighbor Bryan enters the Derby every year, and we have already checked out his very loud, spray-painted, beast of a car! Hooray for good old-fashioned fun! Aren't traditions great?!

P.S. I realized after I posted this blog that I incorrectly titled it. Duh, Kala, it's Leap Year. So, the correct title should be "366 days ago"! But I am choosing to not correct it, because it sounds better the way it incorrectly is!

1 comment:

Trina said...

I remember that. It was pretty great. I don't think we are going to see the Perkins grandparents for a while though. But whilst you were with Grandma and Tawna, I went with Lisa, Tabbi, and Dad to go to the White Elephant. Such a grand place!